You're Invited to Feb. 29 Public Open House for $438,720 Kautz Road Multi-Use Bike and Walking Path

You’re Invited to Feb. 29 Public Open House for $438,720 Kautz Road Multi-Use Bike and Walking Path

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 2.22.31 PM

The city of Aurora will host an open house next week for the new bike and pedestrian multi-use path planned along Kautz Road.

The public event will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 29, at Aurora’s Customer Service Center, 3770 McCoy Drive.

The proposed project would include the construction of a new multi-use path for cyclists and pedestrians along the Kautz Road right-of-way from East New York Street south to Fifth Avenue/McCoy Drive.

The 10-foot wide path would be an extension of the existing trail along Kautz Road south of Fifth Avenue/McCoy Drive, and would connect to the newly constructed New York Street bike path. The project would also provide connections between the Oakhurst Forest Preserve trails to the west of the proposed path and the existing shared-use paths along Inverness Drive to the east of the planned Kautz Road path.

The proposed project is expected to cost $438,720, with 80 percent of the funding coming from the Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program and the remaining 20 percent paid by the city of Aurora.

The event will be held in an open house format that allows residents to attend at any time between 6 and 8 p.m. to review exhibits and provide comments. Alderman Rick Mervine and City of Aurora staff will be available to discuss the project and answer questions.

For more information, call 630-256-3200.

Kautz Road Multi Use Path Extension

SOURCE: Illinois Government News Network news release

City of Aurora, $438,720

The proposed project is a multi-use path that will provide connectivity to both local and regional facilities. The proposed 10-foot wide path will be an extension of the existing Kautz Road Path that connects to the Waubonsie Creek Trail and eventually the Virgil Gillman Trail to the south. It will also connect to several local trails along the proposed alignment. To the north, the trail would connect to a trail along a funded 2014 roadway improvement project on New York Street.

About the City of Aurora, IL

Located 35 miles west of Chicago, Aurora is the second largest city in Illinois with a population of 200,456. Aurora is known as the “City of Lights” because it was one of the first in the nation to illuminate its streets with electric lights. Situated along the Fox River and the Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway (Interstate 88), the city extends 46 square miles encompassing Kane, DuPage, Kendall and Will counties.  Aurora also is home to six public school districts and seven townships. For the latest news, access to an archive of past news releases or to follow the city on Facebook or Twitter, visit the city’s website at