Despite Europe winning five matches on Sunday, the United States reclaimed the Palmer Cup at Rich Harvest Farms defeating Europe 18-12. The United States leads the all-time Palmer Cup series, 10-8-1.
Going into Sunday, the Americans needed just 2 points to win the Palmer Cup. Europe’s Clement Sordet earned and kept a lead early. After a birdie on 11 and par on 13, Sordet went 3 up and would go on to take the match 2 and 1, keeping Europe’s hopes alive for a short time.
USA’s Hunter Stewart went 1-up on the first hole and Europe’s Thomas Detry battled back to go 1-up through five. After a birdie on 8, Stewart continued to win holes and went on to take it 4 and 3.Europe’s Pep Angles lead early in his match with USA’s Beau Hossler. But after a few lost balls, Angles found himself in trouble on 11 and 16, which allowed Hossler to finish 2 and 1 on #17 to clinch the Palmer Cup for USA. Ollie Schniederjans claimed his match against Europe’s Max Rottluff around the same time
During the Closing Ceremonies, Maverick McNealy received an exemption into the Arnold Palmer Invitational Presented by MasterCard. The honor was voted on by his teammates before play began. McNealy’s Palmer Cup caddie Zach Urwiler, a freshman at Mooseheart Academy and second-year caddie at Rich Harvest Farms, will accompany McNealy as his caddie at the 2016 event at Bay Hill. This is the first time the Palmer Cup has awarded this honor to a player.Stewart and Robby Shelton of
Team USA became the 15th and 16th players to post a 4-0 record at a Palmer Cup and the first since Andrew Yun of the United States in 2012. It was the first time that multiple players went undefeated and untied since Europe accomplished the same feat in 2006.
Matthias Schwab of Austria and Stewart of Lexington, Kentucky were named recipients of the Michael Carter Award which is presented to the Palmer Cup participant that best represents the qualities and ideals sportsmanship, integrity and upholding of the gam
Final Round Singles Results
- Match 21: Clement Sordet, Europe def. Anders Albertson, United States, 2 and 1
- Match 22: Hunter Stewart, United States def. Thomas Detry, Europe, 4 and 3
- Match 23: Beau Hossler, United States def. Pep Angles, Europe, 2 and 1
- Match 24: Adrian Meronk, Europe def. Maverick McNealy, United States, 3 and 2
- Match 25: Ollie Schniederjans, United States def. Max Rottluff, Europe 5 and 3
- Match 26: Mathias Schwab, Europe def. Carr Vernon, United States 1-up
- Match 27: Gary Hurley, Europe def. Jack Maguire, United States 1-up
- Match 28: Rowin Caron, Europe def. Kyle Jones, United States, 2 and 1
- Match 29: Robby Shelton, United States def. Mathias Eggenberger, Europe, 4 and 3
- Match 30 Lee McCoy, United States vs. Jon Rahm, Europe, Halved
Final Tournament Score
- Team USA – 18
- Team Europe – 12