- Editor’s Note: This is the second of a series on population change in Kane County, based on reports by Northern Illinois University’s Center for Governmental Studies.
While Illinois leads the nation in population decline, according to a report by NIU’s Center for Governmental Studies, many cities in Illinois continue to grow, including Chicago, which added 25,070 people from 2010 to 2014. That amounts to modest growth of just under 1 percent.
In total population gain, Kane County communities accounted for four of the top 20 in the NIU report:
- Elgin was the fourth-highest population gainer, adding 2,813 residents, for a total of 111,117.
- Aurora — Illinois’ second-largest city — was sixth in population gain, adding 2,295 residents, for a total of 200,456.
- Pingree Grove was 13th in the state, gaining 1,282 residents, for the previously mentioned total of 5,878.
- Huntley was 14th, gaining 1,256 residents, for a total of 25,603.
Naperville added 3,828 residents, the second largest numerical increase of Illinois cities, followed by Champaign (3,314), Elgin, Oswego (2,565), Aurora and Plainfield (2,188). If current trends continue, Joliet and Naperville, the fourth and fifth largest Illinois cities respectively, will surpass Rockford in population size within the next year or two, Taylor says.