For 100 years, the Fabyan Windmill has been located at the Fabyan Forest Preserve in Geneva, and the Forest Preserve District of Kane County has a season of events planned to help celebrate this important milestone!
Here are six very cool ways you can join the celebration:
- Windmill Tours are available from March 15 to Oct. 15 on Saturdays and Sundays from 1-4 p.m., and by appointment. During these tours you will see how the Fabyan Windmill runs and learn all about its history.
- Take an Online Virtual Tour of the Fabyan Windmill. See a Google Images Tour of the inside of the Windmill, including areas not open to the public.
- Join the Forest Preserve District for Nature & Cultural Programs. Learn about the Fox River as Col. George Fabyan experienced it, on a naturalist-guided stroll, Wednesday, June 24, from 7-8 p.m. Additional programs by the Forest Preserve and Preservation Partners of the Fox Valley are listed on the Kane County Forest Preserve District website.
- As part of the Centennial Celebration, the Forest Preserve District is creating a Time Capsule to be opened in 2115. Please submit ideas for consideration on the theme “Fabyan Windmill: 100 Years & Countless Memories.” The district is looking for photographs, poems, drawings, articles or other memorabilia. Items must be 8.5 inches by 11 inches or smaller. It will not accept electronics, rubber, or wood. Mail or deliver items to Forest Preserve District headquarters (1996 S. Kirk Road, Ste. 320, Geneva) from June through September.
- A free Centennial Celebration will be held at noon Saturday, July 25. We’ll have food, music, giveaways, windmill tours and a pinwheel-making station. Plus, be part of the Official Centennial Photo! This photo will be taken in front of the Windmill then placed inside the time capsule.
- If you are interested in being a volunteer at the Fabyan Windmill, by providing the public with historic tours of the Windmill, demonstrating how the Windmill runs, and/or greeting visitors, call 630-762-2741. Also, check out the Forest Preserve District video on what a typical day is like volunteering at the Windmill.
- Fabyan Windmill Celebrates 100th Year
- Fond Fairwell to Fabyan Footbridge
- How to Become a Forest Preserve Volunteer
- 3 Fun Things To Do As Weather Warms Up