In an emotional moment at Tuesday’s Kane County Board meeting, 23 board members unanimously endorsed the appointment of Maria Vazquez to fill the District 8 vacancy created by the passing of her husband.
Jesse Vazquez — a former Marine, Montgomery businessman, County Board member and community activist — died unexpectedly on Jan. 12 at the age of 51.
“This is a great decision. It’s why Kane County always leads the way,” District 16 board member and Forest Preserve Board Chairman Mike Kenyon said. “Right now, there’s a marine standing at attention looking down, and he’s very happy.”
District 2 board member Theresa Barreiro, a longtime friend of the Vazquez family, was among the board members who recommended that Maria fill the 18-month balance of Jesse’s term.
“He is here today,” she said. “When Maria approached me about this, I thought, ‘Yes, this is perfect.’ Maria has worked with Jesse on all his campaigns — in fact, that’s when I met Maria and Jesse. This is a good day, and I want to thank everyone involved. I think Maria will do a great job.”
Maria Vazquez was sworn in during a brief ceremony at the end of Tuesday’s meeting.
“Thank you for this opportunity to continue the good work that Jesse has done,” she said.
- Kane County Board Member Jesse Vazquez Dies Suddenly at Age 51
- Kane County Remembers Jesse Vazquez, 1963-2015
- Visitation Jan. 18 for County Board Member Jesse Vazquez
- County Board Seeking to Fill 8th District Vacancy
- March 1 Memorial Event Will Raise Funds for Family of Jesse Vazquez
- Lauzen: My Choice for District 8 Appointment Is Maria Vazquez