OK, so it’s probably a little late for this reminder, but if you’re one of those folks who likes to go out and buy up all the Christmas lights after the holiday, you might want to be thinking LED.
The Sustain Kane project of the Kane County Environmental and Water Resources Commission is reminding residents that LED lights are fast replacing incandescent bulbs due to the wide array of benefits they offer the consumer in terms of electricity usage, durability, safety, versatility, and environmental footprint.
More and more, LED Christmas lights are likewise becoming a much more popular choice over the strings of incandescent bulbs of Christmases past, which were encased in painted glass, burned hot, broke easily, and with one broken or burnt-out bulb could cause the entire string to fail to light up. Here are five of the benefits of choosing LED lights over incandescent this Christmas season, courtesy of ElectriTech, Inc.
- Less electricity used:LED lights used in Christmas displays demand far less electricity in order to operate than incandescent lights. Not only does this make them a good choice for families who are consciously trying to reduce their energy use, but it can also mean less expensive utility bills in December.
- Safety features:One of the biggest problems with incandescent Christmas lights has been the danger they pose in terms of inadvertently causing Christmas tree fires. Incandescent bulbs burn hot, which can be trouble when they’re placed in a Christmas tree, particularly one that’s begun to dry out. LED lights, on the other hand, are encased in an epoxy plastic that remains cool to the touch and thus don’t run the risk of starting a fire.
- Durability:LED lights are durable on multiple levels. They don’t burn hot, which makes them longer-lasting in terms of bulb life. They’re also constructed to be much more sturdy than incandescent bulbs, which means they’re less likely to break when stepped on or stored improperly. Finally, LED Christmas lights will still operate even if one bulb goes out. This can cut down substantially on the need to replace seemingly “broken” strands.
- Versatility:LED lights are not affected by moisture, changes in temperature, or extreme cold. This makes them extremely versatile, as they can be used inside and out. Thus, indoor and outdoor lights no longer have to be differentiated, making decorating much easier.
- Environmental footprint:For all the reasons outlined above and more, LED lights leave less of an environmental footprint than their incandescent counterparts. Their reduced electricity needs cut down on energy usage and actually help households save electricity and money. And their durability ensures that less waste is produced. After all, when Christmas lights don’t need to be replaced as often, then fewer light strands ultimately find their way to the landfills.
Cost Savings of LED Lights
SOURCE: enlightenme.com press release