- Mark D. Armstrong, CIAO, Kane County’s supervisor of assessments since 2006, has nearly 30 years’ experience in property valuation. Click here for more about Mark. To Ask Mark a question, email it to KaneSOA@co.kane.il.us or mail it to: Mark at 719 South Batavia Ave., Geneva, IL 60134.
Q: If I mail my assessment complaint to the Board of Review, does it have to arrive in your office by the filing deadline?
A: No, but mailed complaints must be postmarked by the filing deadline for each specific township in order to be considered as timely filed.
Illinois has a specific” which governs this matter. This law provides that if an assessment complaint is “transmitted through the United States mail”, then it “shall be deemed filed with or received by the State or political subdivision on the date shown by the post office cancellation mark stamped upon the envelope or other wrapper containing it.” Note that this provision covers only those complaints sent through the U.S. mail; complaints sent via private carriers are specifically excluded from this provision.
* * *
You can receive an e‐mail notice of the publication of a township assessment roll by visiting KaneCountyAssessments.org, selecting the “subscribe” link, and entering your email address.
More ‘Ask Mark’
- ASK MARK: Hey, How do You Choose Which Newspapers Publish Assessments?
- ASK MARK: Can a Non-Attorney Represent Me Before the Board of Review?
- ASK MARK: If I Didn’t Get Notice, Can I Get an Extension to File an Appeal?
- ASK MARK: My Granddaughter Lives With Me, Does Her Income Count Against a Senior Homestead Exemption?
- ASK MARK: I Didn’t Get My Homestead Exemption, Can I Get Back Taxes I Already Paid?
- ASK MARK: Is the Assessed Value of a Recently-Sold Home Necessarily One-Third the Sale Price?
- ASK MARK: I’m a Renter — Can I Still Get a Homestead Exemption?
- ASK MARK: Can You Tell Me When 2014 Tax Assessments Will Come Out?
- ASK MARK: What Credentials Does My Real-Estate Appraiser Need?