'ASK MR./MS. KANE COUNTY PERSON': Mosquitoes So Bad, It's Like a Cloud! How Soon Can You Get Here?

‘ASK MR./MS. KANE COUNTY PERSON’: Mosquitoes So Bad, It’s Like a Cloud! How Soon Can You Get Here?



A new take on “cloud” technology comes from alert reader Elizabeth Bidgood via the Kane County Connects Facebook page, which is still showing as “Kane County Connected” because we haven’t figured out how to change the URL without losing alert readers.


How long does it take after I email your department about overgrown grass on an abandoned home? The mosquitoes out here are so bad, it is like a cloud. It is unreal! Not to mention an eyesore!


This is one of the rare occasions when MR. KANE COUNTY PERSON doesn’t have to pass the buck to a department head who actually knows what he/she is talking about. Because the answers are on the Kane County Health Department’s “Nuisance-Complaint” web page, and I’ve got my copy-paste mojo workin’, as Muddy Waters used to say. The original plan was to post humorous Mr. Kane County Person responses to each of the questions below, but they ended up being too snarky for publication.



It’s important to note that the Kane County Property Maintenance Ordinance applies only to unincorporated portions of the county. If your nuisance complaint is for a property within a city or village located in Kane County, each municipality has its own ordinances, reporting methods and inspectors. CLICK HERE for a list of Kane County cities and villages where you can direct your complaint.

To proceed with a complaint about a property in UNINCORPORATED Kane County,  CLICK HERE for the Online Form. Or call 630-444-3040 for a property located in UNINCORPORATED Kane County.


How do I make a complaint?

Complaints can be made by calling the complaint hotline at 630-762-2770 or through our website’s online form.
Please include detailed location of complaint, type of complaint and location on property. Complaints made after hours or on weekends will be responded to the next business day.

Open burning complaints during normal business hours should be called into 630-444-3040.  For burning complaints outside of normal business hours please contact the Kane County Sheriff’s non-emergency number at 630-232-8400.

*Please note: Agencies that respond to complaints of open burning are responsible for a variety of issues.  Agency response will be prioritized according to protocol established by each agency.

What agencies respond to property maintenance complaints?

Response to property maintenance complaints is a collaborative effort by the Kane County Building Department, Health Department and Animal Control.  Complaints are assigned to departments based on the type of complaint and the location of the complaint. All departments utilize one complaint tracking system, allowing staff from each department to receive, enter inspection information and update the public on the status of complaints.

I called in a complaint last week and nothing has changed. What is the county doing?

The general procedure for responding to property maintenance complaints is:

  • Once a complaint is received it is issued a complaint number and assigned to an inspector.
  • The inspector will conduct an inspection of the property to verify the violation.
  • If the inspector finds violations, a complaint notice with a date for compliance (generally 5 -30 days depending on violation) will be sent to property owner.
  • The inspector will conduct a follow up inspection after the date set in the violation notice to determine if the property has come into compliance.
  • If the violation is not corrected, the inspector can send notice to the property owner that they must attend an Administrative Adjudication hearing.

In every case, the county tries to work with the individual to achieve compliance.

What is Administrative Adjudication?

Administrative Adjudication is a process in which the property owner is required to attend a hearing in front of the county administrative adjudication officer. The officer is a licensed attorney hired by the county to oversee these hearings. The hearings are held the second Thursday of each month. At the hearing, the county is presents evidence of the violation to the hearing officer and the complainant also presents their case to the hearing officer. Based on the testimony and evidence the hearing officer can do any/all of the following: continue the case to the next month to allow further time for the violation to be corrected, assess fines and costs or close the complaint.

Violations can be referred to the court system if compliance is not achieved thru the administrative adjudication process.

Does the county have an abatement/cleanup program?

(Mowing grass, property clean up done by the county and the property owner is billed.):

No.  It is the responsibility of each property owner to correct any violation found on their property.

The house next door is vacant and may be in foreclosure. What can the county do to ensure the house is maintained?

The property maintenance ordinance requires: That the owner of record for any residential dwelling that has become vacant, shall within thirty (30) days after the dwelling becomes vacant, file a registration statement for each such dwelling with the community development department on forms provided by the community development department for such purposes. The registration shall remain valid for one year from the date of registration. The owner shall be required to annually renew the registration as long as the dwelling remains vacant and shall pay an annual registration fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) for each registered dwelling. The property owner must also designate a local person/company that is responsible for maintaining the property.


Why are you investigating complaints on my property and not the neighboring properties around me?

The property maintenance program is a complaint driven program. Only properties that have had complaints made against them are investigated.


Read More “Ask Mr./Ms Kane County Person”