What’s Closed/Open For Memorial Day 2019 in Kane County, IL
Hopefully, you’ll take some time on Memorial Day to appreciate the service of our veterans and active service members. Here’s a list of events taking place throughout Kane County.
It’s a fun day, too, in Kane County, with many parades, pancake breakfasts and special events — the traditional start of the summer season.
What’s closed and what’s open in Kane County on Monday? The usual suspects are closed for the holiday — banks, schools and non-emergency government offices — but there are a few surprises, so be sure to check the list below.
- Many businesses are open on Memorial Day, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open. One exception is Costco.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open, and in fact, some locations will be open with extended holiday hours of operation on Monday, May 27.
Cities And Villages
- Municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed.
- In general, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day for the entire week.
Federal Government Offices
- Memorial Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Monday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County, where Wilson Hall and Lederman Science Center are closed for the holiday.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Monday, May 27, in observance of Memorial Day.
- You can drop off your property tax bill in the drop-off box behind Building A, however, if you’re so inclined. The first installment is due June 3.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park district offices and fitness centers are closed. But, just to be sure …
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Metra — On Friday, May 24, Metra will run added modified service to get passengers home early for Memorial Day weekend. Click here for a summary of service changes on Friday, May, 24.
- Metra will be operating a Sunday/holiday schedule on Memorial Day.
- Metra announced this week that up to three children age 11 and under will be able to ride free with a fare-paying adult beginning this Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day as part of its expanded Family Fares program. Complete schedules and more information are available here.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules.
- Due to a number of parades and events, there will be several street closures on Memorial Day. Check your local municipality or this Kane County Connects article for additional information.
Want To Keep Up With Kane County News And Events?
Sign up for the Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter!