What’s Closed, Open Presidents Day (Washington’s Birthday) 2019 in Kane County, IL
- Editor’s Note: This article contains information available on local websites as of Feb. 13, 2019. Please check back for updates. If you see any information that is not correct, please email email@example.com.
This year, Presidents Day is observed on Monday, Feb. 18. Washington’s Birthday, also known as Presidents’ Day, is a federal holiday held on the third Monday of February.
The day honors presidents of the United States, including George Washington, the USA’s first president.
The gist of it is that local schools, county and state government offices are closed, but local municipal government offices are a bit of a mixed bag.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is closed for Washington’s Birthday. (The same day as Presidents Day)
- Most local banks are closed, but it’s best to check ahead.
- Most retail businesses are open Monday, Feb. 18, 2019, many offering Presidents Day sales. That includes department stores, restaurants and grocery stores.
Cities and Villages
The following is information on non-emergency office hours for Monday, Feb. 18, in Kane County villages and cities based on the calendar information of each office’s website. Click here for links to local government offices in Kane County.
Generally, city and village offices appear to be open. Garbage and recycling collection will not be affected by Lincoln’s birthday.
As always, if you see any errors or discrepancies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Village of Algonquin offices are closed.
- City of Aurora offices appear open. (No mention of closing on calendar or website.)
- City of Batavia offices are open.
- Village of Big Rock. (No mention of closing on calendar or website.)
- Village of Campton Hills offices are closed.
- Village of Carpentersville offices appear closed. (Holiday listed on calendar.)
- Village of East Dundee offices appear open.
- Village of Elburn offices are closed.
- City of Elgin offices are open.
- City of Geneva offices are closed.
- Village of Gilberts offices are closed.
- Village of Hampshire offices appear open.
- Village of Huntley offices are closed.
- Village of Lily Lake offices are closed.
- Village of Maple Park offices are closed.
- Village of Montgomery offices are closed.
- Village of North Aurora offices are open.
- Village of Pingree Grove offices are closed.
- Village of Sleepy Hollow offices appear open.
- Village of South Elgin offices are closed
- City of St. Charles offices are open, but there are no public meetings on Presidents Day.
- Village of Sugar Grove offices are closed.
- Village of West Dundee offices appear open.
All federal offices will be closed Feb. 18 to observe this federal holiday.
The holiday is designated as “Washington’s Birthday” in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. “Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.”
Fermilab, which is a government facility, appears to be open.
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed Monday, Feb. 18, 2019.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
- Kane County’s 16th Circuit Court offices will be closed for the Washington’s Birthday holiday.
Libraries are open on Presidents Day, but it’s a good idea to check with your local library before you go.
Here are links to library districts in Kane County:
- Algonquin Area Public Library
- Aurora Public Library
- Bartlett Public Library
- Batavia Public Library
- Big Rock Public Library
- Elgin Community College Library
- Ella Johnson Memorial Public Library
- Fox River Valley Libraries
- Gail Borden Public Library
- Geneva Public Library
- Huntley Area Public Library
- Kane County Law Library
- Kaneville Public Library
- Maple Park Public Library
- Messenger Public Library of North Aurora
- Oswego Public Library
- St. Charles Public Library
- Sugar Grove Public Library
- Town & Country Public Library District
- Waubonsee Community College Library
Metra will offer its popular Family Fares on Monday, Feb. 18, when many schools will be out for Presidents Day. Trains will operated on a regular schedule.
Family Fares allow up to three children aged 11 and under to ride free with every adult.
Most park districts facilities are open Monday, Feb. 18, but check the following links for your local district’s info.
- Aurora Parks & Recreation
- Barrington Countryside Park District
- Batavia Park District
- Big Rock Park District
- Dundee Township Park District
- Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Fox Valley Park District
- Geneva Park District
- Hampshire Park District
- Hoffman Estates Park District
- Huntley Park District
- Oswegoland Park District
- St. Charles Park District
- South Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Sugar Grove Park District
- Sycamore Park District
- Village of Bartlett Park District
- The U.S. Postal Service will not deliver mail and post offices will be closed. Self-service lobbies will remain open. Just as an FYI, the Postal Service refers to the holiday as Washington’s Birthday (observed) rather than Presidents Day.
- UPS and FedEx will maintain regular business hours on Monday, Feb. 18. There are some “modified service” situations, so click the links here for details.
- Most schools are closed on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
- Waubonsee Community Colleges is open for Presidents Day, but Elgin Community College is closed, according to the ECC Academic Calendar. We could find no information on the Aurora University website. Judson University appears open.
The state of Illinois observes Presidents Day / Washington’s Birthday and will close all state offices.