Snow Totals: St. Charles Gets 6 Inches in Feb. 17-18 Storm — More Coming
How many times have we published a snow-total story at the back end of this winter when we’ve had to add “more coming” at the end of the headline?
Too many, for a lot of folks in Kane County, IL.
Kane County is now under a Winter Weather Advisory, in place from midnight to noon Wednesday.
Mixed accumulations are expected, with total snow accumulations of up to 2 inches and ice accumulations of up to 0.1 of an inch.
During the two-day snow event from the early morning Sunday, Feb. 17, to 8 a.m. Monday, Feb. 18, St. Charles led Kane County with 6.0 inches accumulation, followed by Elgin with 5.1 inches and Elburn with 5.0 inches, according to the National Weather Service Chicago.
Buffalo Grove in Lake County got the most on the list, with 8.7 inches.
“Most of these totals encompass two periods of snow, with the first during the morning of the 17th and the second during the late afternoon of the 17th into the early morning of the 18th,” the NWS Chicago said.
The totals do not include additional amounts from lake effect snow near Lake Michigan during the morning of Feb. 18.
Kane County Totals
- St. Charles — 6.0 inches
- 3 W Elgin — 5.1 inches
- Elburn — 5.0 inches
- Batavia — 4.2 inches
- Aurora — 3.0 inches
- The official snowfall for Chicago, including lake effect snow on the 18th, was 4.9 inches observed at Chicago O’Hare International Airport.
- The official snowfall for Rockford was 3.8 inches observed at Chicago Rockford International Airport.
- Other snowfall amounts include 1.7 inches at the NWS Chicago in Romeoville and 4.0 inches observed 3 miles southwest of Chicago Midway International Airport which did include lake effect snow on Feb. 18.
Winter 2018-2019 Events
- Feb. 17-18, 2019: Accumulating snow including a period of Ice and some lake effect snow
- Feb. 11-12, 2019: Ice storm followed by strong winds
- Feb. 5, 2019: Ice and sleet event for northern Illinois
- January 2019: Fourth snowiest January on record for Rockford, IL
- Jan. 30-31, 2019: Record to near-record cold temperatures across northern Illinois, with Rockford reaching all-time record low
- Jan. 28, 2019: Heavy snowfall across northern Illinois and northwest Indiana, making for messy Monday morning commute
- Jan.22-23, 2019: Freezing precipitation and snow bring a messy Tuesday across the area
- Jan. 18-21, 2019: Widespread snow brings 6+” to northern Illinois followed by heavy lake effect snow into northwest Indiana
- Jan. 12, 2019: Widespread snowfall event returns area to winter weather
- Nov. 25-26, 2018: Major early season winter storm