Kane 9-1-1’s Andrew Baumann Named Illinois Radio Technician of The Year
KaneComm’s Andrew Baumann was honored at this week’s Kane County Board meeting for being named Illinois’ 2018 Communications Technician of the Year.
Baumann received the award in November from the Illinois Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials.
“Anyone who has worked with ‘Andy The Radioman’ knows that he is most deserving of this award and recognition,” said Kane County Emergency Communications Director Michelle Guthrie.
Guthrie said Baumann received the state recognition because of his job performance, which she described as “unparalleled.”
In the past two years, he took the lead on an extensive radio-system overhaul, completing two phases of improvements.
“He spent hours, many on his own, designing options and communicating with vendors,” she said. “He coordinated with subscribing police and fire agencies to identify opportunities for additional sites for the system.”
When Baumann is not working with KaneComm on radio support or an equipment repair, Guthrie said he is most often found programming new radios or repairing old ones. She routinely hears him on the phone, answering questions or troubleshooting.
“Because everybody knows,” she said. “If you need help with a radio, you call Andy.”
Kane County Emergency Communications is a multi-jurisdictional dispatch center responsible for the deployment of several police, fire, and medical agencies located within Kane County. KaneComm personnel are tasked with all of the incoming emergency and non emergency calls for assistance from citizens residing in these jurisdictions.
Subscribers of KaneComm dispatch services include
- Kane County Sheriff’s Office
- Kane County Office of Emergency Management
- Wayne Police Department
- Gilberts Police Department
- Hampshire Police Department
- Maple Park Police Department
- Pingree Grove Police Department
- Campton Hills Police Department
- Fox Valley Park District Police Department
- Kane County Forest Preserve Police Department
- Burlington Fire Department
- Hampshire Fire Department
- Maple Park Fire Department
- Pingree Grove Fire Department
- Fox River Fire Department
- Big Rock Fire Department
- Kaneville Fire Department