Heads Up! What’s Closed/Open Christmas Eve, Christmas Day 2018 in Kane County, IL
What’s closed and what’s open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is a wee bit more complicated than usual this year, simply because the holiday falls on a Tuesday.
The state of Illinois website, for example, website says state offices are closed only on Dec. 25. The Illinois Secretary of State’s offices, however, take off both Monday, Dec. 24, and Tuesday, Dec. 25.
And those not-so-subtle discrepancies are just the tip of the iceberg.
Local units of government, businesses and public transportation have their own, unique schedules, and it’s worth noting what to expect, not only on Christmas Day, but that Monday between the weekend and the holiday.
Kane County non-emergency offices are open Christmas Eve, closed Christmas Day.
After Christmas, you’ll have to check on your garbage pick-up day, which generally is delayed one day after a holiday. And there are a few more anomalies that you should pay attention to.
Here’s a roundup of the usual suspects, a few of whom have some surprises.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is closed Christmas Day but open Monday, Dec. 24.
- Local banks are closed for the Christmas holiday, as well. Hours for Christmas Eve Day vary, so consult your local bank before you go.
- Many businesses (other than banking institutions) are closed Christmas Day, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information. Most restaurants — and most of the big-name fast-food chains — are open, from Applebee’s to Waffle House.
- Many big-name retail stores close around 6 p.m. Christmas Eve (Dick’s Sporting Good, for example). Wal-Mart says that for Dec. 24, it will remain open up until 6 p.m. all throughout the U.S.
- Many pharmacies will be open, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid, but the hours may vary. Call ahead before making the trip.
Cities And Villages
All municipalities’ non-emergency offices, including public works facilities, are closed Dec. 25, in observance of the Christmas holiday. Most are also closed Dec. 24, but check out the links and information below for specifics.
As mentioned above, waste and recycling collection services generally operate a holiday schedule, and that usually means a one-day delay.
Some board meetings that usually fall on Tuesday are postponed. Click on the following links to find out more about what’s happening in your community.
- Village of Algonquin — Open Christmas Eve, closed Christmas Day, according to the calendar.
- City of Aurora— Holiday hours not listed on website.
- City of Batavia— Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day 2018.
- Village of Big Rock — Holiday hours not listed on website. (Regular office hours are 8-11 a.m. Tuesdays, 1-4 p.m. Wednesdays, 8-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m. Thursdays.)
- Village of Burlington — PDF indicates open Dec. 24, closed Dec. 25. 2018_CALENDAR_FINAL.docx
- Village of Campton Hills — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Carpentersville — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of East Dundee — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Elburn — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- City of Elgin — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- City of Geneva — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Gilberts — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Hampshire — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Huntley — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Lily Lake — Open Christmas Eve, closed Christmas Day.
- Village of Maple Park — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Montgomery — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of North Aurora — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Pingree Grove — Open Christmas Eve, closed Christmas Day.
- Village of Sleepy Hollow — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of South Elgin — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- City of St. Charles — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Village of Sugar Grove — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Vilage of West Dundee — Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Kane County non-emergency offices are open Christmas Eve, closed Christmas Day.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter will publish on Monday, Dec. 24, but will have the day off Tuesday, Dec. 25. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
Kane County Courts
- Kane County’s 16th Judicial Circuit Court will be closed at 1 p.m. on Christmas Eve and closed on Christmas Day.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries are closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. (Geneva, for example.) But check these links to see if yours is closed or open Christmas Eve.
- Park districts and their recreation facilities are a mixed bag, but many close early on Christmas Eve Day. Geneva recreation centers, as an example, are closed at 1 p.m. on Christmas Eve.
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Postal offices are closed Christmas Day but have usual hours Christmas Eve.
- Local schools are closed for the holiday break. Schools’ winter breaks vary, but many have off Monday, Dec. 24, through Friday, Jan. 4.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
- The great state of Illinois observes Christmas Day as the holiday, but not Christmas Eve. The Secretary of State’s facilities are closed both Monday, Dec. 24, and Tuesday, Dec. 25, for the Christmas holiday.
- Metra will modify train schedules on several days in the coming weeks to better serve the needs of customers during the holiday season. In addition, special $10 holiday passes will be available for unlimited travel Dec. 24-25 and Dec. 31-Jan. 1, in addition to the usual $10 weekend passes for Dec. 22-23 and Dec. 29-30.
- Up to three kids 11 and under will be able to ride free with each adult from Dec. 24 to Jan. 4.
- On Friday, Dec. 21, Monday, Dec. 24, Friday, Dec. 28 and Monday, Dec. 31, all lines except the Heritage Corridor will adjust schedules to add early afternoon departures from Metra’s downtown stations to accommodate workers and shoppers leaving downtown early. Some normal rush-hour trains will be canceled on those days.
- In addition, on Dec. 31, some lines will hold the last train of the evening for a later departure time to accommodate customers attending New Year’s Eve festivities downtown. (The last trains will depart from 1:10 a.m. to 1:25 a.m., depending on the line.)
- Alcohol is prohibited on all trains after 7 p.m. on Dec. 31.
- Metra is also offering $10 unlimited ride passes for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Dec. 24 and 25, and for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, Dec. 31 and Jan 1. Customers who use the Ventra App to make their purchase will need to select the special “Holiday Mon & Tue Pass” or “New Year’s 2-Day Pass” instead of the Weekend Pass for those days. The regular $10 Weekend Pass will be valid Dec. 22-23 and Dec. 29-30.
- A Sunday/holiday schedule will be in effect on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1. There will be no service on the North Central Service, SouthWest Service and Heritage Corridor lines on those days.Metra will be modifying service during the 2018 Holiday Season between Dec. 21 and Jan. 1.
- For more details, click on this Metra link.
- On Dec. 25 and Jan. 1, some of Pace’s most in-demand routes will run on Sunday schedules or modified schedules, but most other routes will not operate.
- Most buses will operate regularly on Dec. 24 and 29.
- See Pace’s full holiday service notice for more information.
Links To Kane County Chambers of Commerce
- Algonquin / Lake-in-the-Hills Chamber of Commerce
- Aurora Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Aurora Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Batavia Chamber of Commerce
- Elburn Chamber of Commerce
- Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce
- Geneva Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce
- Hampshire Chamber of Commerce
- Hoffman Estates Chamber of Commerce
- Huntley Chamber of Commerce
- Northern Kane County Chamber of Commerce
- Quad County African America Chamber of Commerce
- St. Charles Chamber of Commerce
- Sugar Grove Chamber of Commerce