Kane County History: Thomas Lathrop Cleveland — Batavia’s Presidential Connection
- Editor’s Note: This article is part of a weekly series on Kane County’s amazing history. Today’s post was written by Batavia Depot Museum Executive Director Jennifer Putzier. All photos are courtesy of the Batavia Depot Museum.
Our very first presidential connection in Batavia came from Thomas Lathrop Cleveland, Batavia pioneer, business owner, Chicago Burlington and Quincy station agent and cousin to President Grover Cleveland.
Thomas Cleveland was born April 15, 1818, in Boston, MA, the only son of Aaron Porter and Lydia Austin Cleveland.
Lydia Cleveland died just a month after Thomas was born, so he was raised in Boston with his two half siblings from his father’s previous marriage.
Thomas was provided a good education, but he had an adventurous streak. He struck out for the East Indies as a young man and spent his 18th birthday on the banks of the Ganges River.
It’s uncertain what drew him abroad, but he soon came back to the United States, spent some time in Charleston, SS, and then made his way west.
In 1839, he opened a general store in Geneva, just upriver from Batavia. The next year, he moved the business to Batavia, where it flourished.
He settled down, marrying Olivia Blanchard in 1840. Olivia was the daughter of William and Hannah Blanchard, and a pioneer settler of Aurora. Her family moved west in 1836, when she was just 13 years old.
The Cleveland family put down roots in Batavia. Cleveland ran the general store for many years, and by 1857 he was a clerk at the Batavia Bank.
He liked fine homes, evidenced in an early reference in 1846, when the Prairie Messenger described a residential street in Batavia as “a handsomely villa-built street a mile in length, with comfortable, if not elegant dwellings, including the well furnished brick mansion of Mr. Cleveland.”
It is uncertain where this early brick home was located, but two later homes built by the Clevelands still stand: 125 South Lincoln St., built in 1852, and 503 McKee St., built between 1856 and 1869.
Around 1860, Thomas Cleveland became the station agent for the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad, and held that position until 1881.
Instead of keeping a separate house, the Clevelands moved into the station, which now houses the Batavia Depot Museum, using the back part and upstairs as their personal quarters.
The Aurora Beacon-News reported that during 1874, Cleveland oversaw the following shipments from the Depot: 2,530 carloads of stone (10 tons per car), 47 carloads of wagons, 687 carloads of windmills, 37 carloads of grain and 76 carloads of sundry products.
The Clevelands were quite active in community life. They became members of the Congregational Church in 1872. Cleveland was a Mason, held several town offices, and was a School Board trustee for two terms. He was also elected city clerk of Batavia, but didn’t get to enjoy the post long. He died on April 10, 1882, shortly after being elected.
Though he is our presidential connection, Cleveland didn’t actually live long enough to see his cousin in office.
Cleveland and Grover Cleveland were first cousins, once removed, and he was a generation older than the president. Thomas Cleveland’s grandparents, Aaron Cleveland and his wife, Abiah, were President Cleveland’s great-grandparents. Grover Cleveland became the 22nd president of the United States in 1885, just three years after Thomas Cleveland’s death.
Thomas and Olivia Cleveland helped shape early Batavia and were respected members of the community.
Olivia Cleveland came to Batavia as a bride in 1840, and was thought to be the oldest of Batavia’s settlers when she passed away in 1908. Thomas Cleveland’s memory lives on the Depot, where he spent so many years in service to the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad.
You can even see a small charm, engraved with his name, on display, from when he was station agent.
- FEATURE PHOTO CAPTION: Thomas Cleveland is in this photo admiring Dan Corwin’s new horse in front of Milo Kemp’s building, but unfortunately which gentleman he is has been lost.
About the Batavia Depot Museum
The Batavia Depot Museum opened in 1975 as a partnership between the Batavia Park District and the Batavia Historical Society. The Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad Depot was the first of its kind built in 1854, and is recognized on the National Register of Historic Places.
Inside, the city’s past comes alive through exhibits detailing the history of rail transportation, manufacture of windmills, agriculture, banking, commerce and a brief stay by Mary Todd Lincoln at Bellevue Place. Open seasonally, from March through November. Hours are 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Read The Kane County History Series!
- 1850-1925 Geneva — When Penmanship Was Mightier Than The Sword
- St. Charles Museum Site — From Serving Gas To Preserving History
- Elgin Puts 3,500 Priceless Photos Online
- Batavia-Inspired Miniatures Thrilled a Nation
- Aurora’s Maud Powell, World Famous Violinist
- Waxing Nostalgic on Geneva’s WGSB, WFXW
- American Doughboys of WWI — in St. Charles, IL
- Experience High-Tech History at April 21 ‘Open Elgin’ Event
- Batavia, IL — ‘Windmill Capital of The World’
- Meet Andy Aurora, Man About Town
- Celebrating The 50th Anniversary of 9-1-1 in Geneva
- Blue Goose And Evergreen Pub — ‘Shop Local’ 90 Years In The Making
- Elgin Is The Apple of Illinois Bicentennial’s Eye
- Nordens Soner And Batavia’s Swedish Society
- Aurora’s Melting Pot ‘Yearning To Breathe Free’
- Candles, Timing Devices, Phonographs And The ‘Life Cup’ — All Things Made in Geneva
- Hotel Baker, The ‘Masterpiece’ of The Fox Valley
- Elgin Celebrates Our Once-Burgeoning Dairy Business
- Reflections of Batavia’s Quarry Beach Pool
- Aurora’s Mabel O’Donnell, Author of “Alice And Jerry’ Books
- As Alice (Davis) Says, ‘Schools Out For Summer!’
- Elgin Watches, ‘The World’s Standard’
- Aurora Silverplate a Symbol of Good Taste
- Women Leaders Played Huge Roles in Geneva
- Nationally Renowned Summer Camp in St. Charles
- The Harrowing Story of William Lynch, Elgin’s Civil War Brigadier General
- Batavia Powered The Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Railway
- Corsets Doing Big Business in Aurora? Scandalous!
- One Block of Geneva Tells 1,001 Fantastic Stories
- St. Charles’ Evergreen Pub — The ‘Before’ Photos
- 1917-18 — When Elgin Artists Went to War