What’s Closed, What’s Open on Labor Day 2018
Labor Day weekend is among the most-traveled of the year, and there are reasons to suspect that 2018 will be no exception.
This year’s Fourth of July weekend was record-breaking, with an estimated 46.9 million Americans traveling 50 miles or more away from home — an increase of more than 5 percent according to AAA. And the numbers were similarly high, up about 5 percent year over year for the 2018 Memorial Day weekend.
Then there’s the news that protesters are planning to block I-190 near O’Hare Airport on Labor Day this year, according to a report in the Daily Herald.
So, expect some delays if you’re hitting the roads or airports this weekend.
The usual suspects are closed for the holiday — banks, schools and non-emergency government offices — but there are a few surprises, so be sure to check the list below.
Here’s a look at what’s open and closed on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 3, 2018):
- Many businesses are open on Labor Day, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open. The exception is Costco.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open, and in fact, some locations will be open with extended holiday hours of operation on Monday, Sept. 3.
Cities And Villages
- Municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed.
- In general, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day for the entire week.
Federal Government Offices
- Labor Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Monday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County, where Wilson Hall and Lederman Science Center are closed for the holiday.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Monday, Sept. 3, in observance of Labor Day.
- You can drop off your property tax bill in the drop-off box behind Building A, however, if you’re so inclined.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park district offices and fitness centers are closed. But, just to be sure …
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- UPS, FedEx and the United States Postal Service do not pick up or deliver on Labor Day. In fact, the FedEx holiday service schedule says the Labor Day holiday is Aug. 31 through Sept. 4.