18 FAQs About Kane County's Electrical Aggregation Program

18 FAQs About Kane County’s Electrical Aggregation Program

Kane County received competitive bids to renew their Electrical Aggregation Program for residents and small businesses in unincorporated portions of the county, not including Aurora and Dundee townships, which separately manage electric aggregation programs.

Kane County contracted with the lowest bidder, Dynegy Energy Services, at a fixed rate of 7.026 cents per kWh for a 24-month term ending August 2020. This is a decrease from the county’s present program rate of 7.08 cents per kWh, and a rate lower than the ComEd default rate which has recently increased to 7.75 per kWh.

All program participants will also have the option of receiving 100 percent renewably-sourced electric supply at a rate of $0.07248 per kWh from August 2018 through August 2020. Please contact Dynegy to elect this sustainability option.


Please note that no one from Dynegy Energy, Kane County, or ComEd will ever visit your home or call you to enroll, nor ask for your ComEd account number.

If a solicitor claims to be Kane County’s supplier or ComEd, take their information and report the incident to the ICC at 800-524-0795 or www.icc.illinois.gov/consumer/complaint.

Program Benefits

  • A guaranteed power supply rate for two years;
  • Flexibility to join or leave the program at any time, with no fees to switch; and
  • No enrollment fee, early termination fee, or added monthly fees.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I enroll in the program?

During the initial three-week opt out period, you need do nothing if you received an opt-out notice at your ComEd billing address; you will automatically be enrolled unless you opt out.

After the initial opt out period, a ratepayer may enroll by calling Dynegy Energy at 844-351-7691 and requesting the Kane County rate of 7.026¢ per kWh.

2. What is an eligible resident or small commercial account?

Any resident who is presently with ComEd and has not already switched to an Alternative Retail Electric Supplier or who is not enrolled in a special Residential Real-Time Pricing program is eligible, and small commercial accounts are eligible. You must also have a residence or business located within Kane County limits.

3. What is a “small commercial account?”

A small commercial account is a commercial account that consumes less than 15,000 kWh per year.

4. What if I don’t want to participate?

You may opt out before the program begins. You may also leave the program after it begins, never a termination fee.

Eligible resident and small commercial accounts will receive an opt out letter which they must sign and return within 21 days if they do not want to be in the program. Otherwise, they will automatically be enrolled.

If you want to leave the program after having been enrolled, simply call Dynegy Energy and ask to be moved back to ComEd or another supplier at any time. There is never an early termination fee.

5. I am located in unincorporated portions of Kane County but have already switched to another supplier. May I still join Kane County’s Electrical Aggregation Program?

Yes. Contact Dynegy Energy at 844-351-7691 to enroll.

It is recommended you check your contract to review any early termination fees you may be liable for; you may wish to wait for your current contract to expire before enrolling in the aggregation program. You may join the program at any time during the 24-month contract.

6. Why is Kane County doing this?

A Municipal Electric Aggregation Program was approved by a simple majority in a voter referendum allowing the county to seek pricing from an ARES for residents and small commercial accounts.

7. What is the present ComEd rate?

The effective ComEd rate for the four months June 2018 to September 2018 is 7.358 cents per kWh and then will rise to 7.941 cents per kWh for the eight months October 2018 to May 2019. That is an annualized rate of 7.75 cents per kWh. It also includes a variable charge or credit, the Purchase Electricity Adjustment.

To find the current rate, visit http://www.pluginillinois.org.

8. Will I get two bills, one from ComEd and another from the new supplier?

No. ComEd will continue to bill you for electric supply, delivery and taxes. ComEd delivers electricity, and will continue to bill you for that, but they no longer supply it.

They will pass along the fees you pay for the supply of your energy to the new supplier. ComEd will retain the fees you pay them for delivery.

9. Will that affect my ComEd electric service?

No. ComEd has not generated electricity since 2007. A government agency, the Illinois Power Agency has contracted electric supply and establishes the “ComEd” default rate.

10. Whom do I call if I have service problems?

Always call ComEd with reports of outages or downed power lines at 800-334-7661. For questions about your supply, you can call the customer service number for Dynegy.

This will be listed under “Electric Supply Services” on your ComEd bill.

11. If I am automatically enrolled in the program now, can I leave the program at any time?

Yes, you can later leave the program and move your account back to ComEd or another Supplier. There is no early termination fee to leave.

12. What is ComEd’s 6-month “hold” requirement?

Please note State Regulations: If you move from the program back to ComEd for longer than two months, your account is placed in a “bundled hold” status, and you may not return to the Kane County program until a full six months has passed.

13. I am enrolled in low-income assistance program. Will that be affected?

No. If you currently receive assistance via PIPP or LIHEAP, that status will not change and you can continue to get these benefits for your ComEd bill.

14. I’m on ComEd’s budget billing plan. Will that change?

No, that will not change; you may stay on the budget billing plan.

15. Can I still have my payment automatically deduced from my checking account as I do now?

Yes. The way you pay your ComEd bill will not change.

16. Will someone come to my home or call to enroll me?

No. You need do nothing to automatically be enrolled in the program. If someone calls or visits your home claiming to be the County’s power supplier, you may file a complaint with the ICC at http://www.icc.illinois.gov/consumer/complaint.

17. Is my electric supply service and delivery at greater risk?

No. By law, ComEd remains the Provider of Last Resort (POLR), so if there is an issue with securing electric supply, ComEd will be required to deliver it, regardless.

18. Does the energy supply renewable “green” energy sources?

Yes. 14.5 percnet of your energy consumption is sourced from renewable generation such as solar and wind and may be represented through the purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates.

The Illinois Commerce Commission offers more information about energy deregulation in Illinois and energy supply choices at www.pluginillinois.org.

For questions about your electric account, call Kane County’s aggregation program supplier, Dynegy Energy, at 844-351-7691. If you require additional assistance, call the County’s consultant, NIMEC at 800-727-3820 to leave your question and callback number. You will be contacted within 24 hours regarding the issue.

Kane County’s Electrical Aggregation webpage.

Dynegy’s Kane County Information webpage.

Read More