What’s Open, Closed on Memorial Day 2018
Hopefully, you’ll take some time on Memorial Day to appreciate the service of our veterans and active service members. Here’s a list of events taking place throughout Kane County.
If you’re traveling, expect delays. AAA, based in Aurora, says the number of travelers in Illinois will be more than 2 million — up about 4 percent over 2017.
The usual suspects are closed for the holiday — banks, schools and non-emergency government offices — but there are a few surprises, so be sure to check the list below.
Here’s a look at what’s open and closed on Memorial Day:
- Many businesses are open on Memorial Day, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open. The exception is Costco.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open, and in fact, some locations will be open with extended holiday hours of operation on Monday, May 28.
Cities And Villages
- Municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed.
- In general, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day for the entire week.
Federal Government Offices
- Memorial Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Monday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County, where Wilson Hall and Lederman Science Center are closed for the holiday.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Monday, May 28, in observance of Memorial Day.
- You can drop off your property tax bill in the drop-off box behind Building A, however, if you’re so inclined.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park district offices and fitness centers are closed. But, just to be sure …
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Metra will be operating a Sunday/holiday schedule on Memorial Day, which means there will be no service that day on the North Central Service, Heritage Corridor and SouthWest Service lines. Metra announced this week that up to three children age 11 and under will be able to ride free with an adult beginning this Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day as part of its expanded Family Fares program. In addition, Metra will offer early getaway trains on Friday, May 25 so customers can get a head start on their holiday plans. Most lines are adding and shifting trains to the early afternoon. Complete schedules and more information are available here.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules.