Aurora Honors Those Who Served During Vets Week May 19-28
There are few celebrations for our nation’s servicemen and women more extensive or more meaningful than Vets Week in Aurora, which will extend from Armed Forces Day on May 19 to Memorial Day on May 28, 2018.
Every branch of the the military and virtually every era of armed-forces service will be remembered.
And it will be fun, with a car show, a movie night at the Paramount featuring Hackshow Ridge, a drive-through barbecue and a patriotic concert by the Aurora American Legion Band, just to name a few.
This is the third year of Vets Week, which opened to rave reviews in 2016, when it was hailed as the first-ever vets week in Illinois history.
Vets Week’s mission is to raise funds for veterans in need. Funds will go to veteran housing, job placement, service dogs, scholarships for family members of veterans and educating the public on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, combating the veteran homelessness and other veteran-related assistance.
For details, visit vetsweekaurora.org
Saturday, May 19 — Armed Forces Day
- Vet and Families Appreciation Picnic & Concert
Sunday, May 20
- 5k Fun Run, Walk, Woof, and Roll
Monday, May 21
- Veteran Resource Fair
- Monday Movie Night Presents Hacksaw Ridge @ Paramount Theatre
Tuesday, May 22
- Women Veterans Empowerment Expo
- Marie Wilkinson Mobile Pantry
Wednesday, May 23
- You’re a Grand Old Flag Art Reception @ Santori Public Library
Thursday, May 24
- Drive Through BBQ @ IBEW 461
Friday, May 25
- Recognition of Veterans of Iraq, Afghanastan @ Prisco Community Center
Saturday, May 26
- Vets Week Cruise Night @ West Aurora Plaza
Sunday, May 27
- Additional Names Added to Veterans Monument and Special Brick Prsentation @ Phillips Park Sunken Gardens
Monday, May 28
- Memorial Day Parade @ Downtown City of Aurora