Elgin YWCA Seeks Nominations for 2018 Leader Luncheon Awards
Do you know a woman in the Elgin area who has demonstrated qualities of leadership and commitment to excellence?
Nominations for the YWCA Elgin Leader Luncheon Awards are now open in the following categories:
- Margaret Hillis Award for the Arts: Hillis was the Elgin Symphony Orchestra music director for 14 years and conducted the Chicago Symphony Chorus for 35 years.
- Beatrice Dorsey Award for Business and Professions: A successful local business woman for 45 years, Dorsey was instrumental in assisting women to succeed in business.
- Marguerite Henry Award for Communications & Technology: Author of over 50 books including children’s classics, Henry held many prestigious national literacy awards.
- Harriet Gifford & Hattie Griffin Award for Education: Gifford established the first school in Elgin in 1836, initiating the foundation for local educational systems. Co-founder of the YWCA Elgin, Hattie Griffin, was an educator for more than 50 years.
- Myrtle Spiegler Award for Public Service: As the first woman to assume the position of Elgin city clerk, Spiegler designed the city flag and paved the way for women to actively participate in the field of public service.
- Betty Brown Award for Racial Justice: As a community leader and activist, Betty Brown laid the ground work for the earliest racial equality movements in Elgin.
- Marie Grolich Award for Social Service: As executive director of the YWCA of Elgin for 20 years, Grolich spearheaded many innovative programs to benefit the entire community.
- Marjorie Leonard Award for Volunteer & Community Service: As a volunteer and humanitarian, Leonard donated countless hours to civic organizations and social agencies.
Deadline date for submissions is 4 p.m. Thursday, March 8. Nomination forms are available online at ywcaelgin.org/LL2018.
Awards will be presented on Thursday, May 10, when the YWCA Elgin hosts its 35th Annual Leader Luncheon at The Seville in Streamwood.
The YWCA Leader Luncheon Awards is attended by hundreds of community leaders, business representatives and volunteers who join together in honor of women in the Elgin area who have made a difference in the community.
Call the YWCA Elgin at 847-742-7930 for more information, to purchase tickets, or to become a sponsor.of this prestigious event.
SOURCE: YWCA Elgin news release