Flu Surveillance Report: Percentage of ER Cases Rises Dramatically
Kane County flu-related visits to the emergency rooms of local hospitals hit 12.6 percent in the most-recent report — the highest percentage since the 2009-10 flu season.
Also worthy of note is that 11 flu outbreaks have been reported so far at long-term care or assisted living facilities in Kane County.
Nationally, concern is growing over the number of young people who have died from the flu. As of Jan. 20, there had been 37 flu-associated deaths in children, according to the most recent data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Illinois Mathematics & Science Academy in Aurora was closed this week due to the numbers of flu cases. IMSA is expected to reopen Monday (Jan. 29, 2018).
The Influenza Surveillance Report for Week 3 was released today (Friday, Jan. 26, 2018) and covers the period from Jan. 14 to Jan. 20.
Flu surveillance for the Kane County Health Department includes the collection of data from hospital emergency rooms, laboratories, and public schools. Participants have reported the following aggregate measures:
- Among five reporting hospital emergency rooms, 12.6 percent of visits were for influenza-like illness.
- During Week 3, six labs reported that 534 of 1,438 (37.1 percent) of specimens tested for influenza were positive. Of these 534 specimens: 473 (88.6 percent) were positive for Influenza A, 60 (11.2 percent) were positive for Influenza B, and 1 (0.2 percent) was positive for Influenza A/B. No other specimen tested positive for the week ending Jan. 20, 2018.
- The ILI absenteeism rate for public schools in Kane County was 0.57%. No public school was closed for increased ILI activity.
- As of the week ending Jan. 20, there have been 31 cases of influenza-related ICU admission reported to the Health department. No influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
- To date, 11 outbreaks of influenza have been reported in Long-Term Care/Assisted Living facilities in Kane County.
The Kane County Health Department is offering walk-in flu clinics at its Aurora office, 1240 N. Highland Ave. Please call the Bee Wize Immunize phone-line at (866) 233-9493.