UPDATE: What’s Closed, Open For New Year’s Weekend 2017-18
What’s closed and what’s open is once again a mixed bag for local units of government, businesses and public transportation during the New Year’s weekend.
With New Year’s Day falling on a Monday, you’d think it would be a no-brainer — that pretty much everything would be closed. But hold on! A lot of businesses make the most of the New Year’s holiday celebration, and transportation has a few sweet deals.
As usual, you’ll probably have to think twice about your garbage pick-up day this coming week, which generally is delayed one day after a holiday. And there are a few more anomalies that you should pay attention to.
Here’s a roundup of the usual suspects, a few of whom have some New Year’s surprises.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is closed New Year’s Day.
- Local banks are closed for the New Year’s holiday, as well.
- Many businesses (other than banking institutions) are closed New Year’s Dayf, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information. Most restaurants — and most of the big-name fast-food chains — are open, from Applebee’s to Waffle House.
- Some big-name retail stores (Wal-Mart not so much, but Target maybe) close a little early on New Year’s Eve.
- Many pharmacies will be open, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid, but the hours may vary. Call ahead before making the trip.
Cities And Villages
Most municipalities’ non-emergency offices, including public works facilities, are closed Monday, Jan. 1, in observance of the New Year’s holiday.
As mentioned above, waste and recycling collection services generally operate a holiday schedule, and that usually means a one-day delay.
Some board meetings that usually fall on Monday are postponed to Tuesday. Click on the following links to find out more about what’s happening in your community.
- Village of Algonquin
- City of Aurora
- City of Batavia
- Village of Big Rock (Regular office hours are 8-11 a.m. Tuesdays, 1-4 p.m. Wednesdays, 8-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m. Thursdays.)
- Village of Burlington (Offices are always closed on Fridays.)
- Village of Campton Hills
- Village of Carpentersville
- Village of East Dundee
- Village of Elburn
- City of Elgin
- City of Geneva
- Village of Gilberts
- Village of Hampshire
- Village of Huntley
- Village of Lily Lake
- Village of Maple Park
- Village of Montgomery
- Village of North Aurora
- Village of Pingree Grove
- Village of Sleepy Hollow
- Village of South Elgin
- City of St. Charles
- Village of Sugar Grove
- Village of Wayne
- Viilage of West Dundee
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed Monday Jan. 1, 2018.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has both those days off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park districts are closed Monday, Jan. 1.
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Postal offices are closed Monday Jan. 1, 2018.
- Local schools are closed for the holiday break. Schools’ winter breaks vary, but many have off Monday, Dec. 25, through Friday, Jan. 5. Because of Institute Days, U-46 students don’t resume classes until Wednesday, Jan. 10.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
- Metra will be modifying service during the 2017 Holiday Season between Dec. 21 and Jan. 1.
- Metra will have a Sunday/Holiday schedule in effect on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. That means there will be no service on the Heritage Corridor, North Central Service and SouthWest Service on any of those days.
- Metra is also extending its $8 unlimited ride Weekend Pass over the three-day holiday weekend, Dec. 30 to Jan. 1. Customers who use the Ventra App to make their purchase will need to select the special “New Year’s 3-Day Pass” instead of the Weekend Pass to receive this special deal on those weekends.
- In addition, from Dec. 16 to Jan. 1, up to three children aged 11 or younger can ride free with each adult.
- On Dec. 31, most lines will hold the last train of the evening for a later departure time to accommodate customers attending New Year’s Eve festivities downtown.
- For more details, click on this Metra link.
- On New Year’s Day, Routes 208, 215, 223, 250, 270, 290, 301, 303, 305, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 313, 315, 317, 318, 322, 330, 332, 349, 350, 352, 353, 356, 357, 359 , 364, 366 and 606 will run on a Sunday schedule. On New Year’s Day, Routes 360 and 361 will run a normal Monday schedule.
- No other routes will run on New Year’s Day.
Links To Kane County Chambers of Commerce
- Algonquin / Lake-in-the-Hills Chamber of Commerce
- Aurora Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Aurora Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Batavia Chamber of Commerce
- Elburn Chamber of Commerce
- Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce
- Geneva Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce
- Hampshire Chamber of Commerce
- Hoffman Estates Chamber of Commerce
- Huntley Chamber of Commerce
- Northern Kane County Chamber of Commerce
- Quad County African America Chamber of Commerce
- St. Charles Chamber of Commerce
- Sugar Grove Chamber of Commerce