Top 10 KCC Stories of 2017 — No. 5: A Fatal Gunshot Mystery Solved
- Editor’s Note: This is the sixth in a series counting down the top 10 Kane County Connects stories of 2017.
Each year, there is at least one story in the annual countdown that had tragic consequences. This year was no exception.
No. 5: Autopsy Reveals 18-Year-Old Died of Self-Inflicted Gunshot
This story received 6,984 page views, in part because of the mystery and drama that surrounded the initial investigation.
According to initial reports from the Kane County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded in the early-morning hours of Monday, Jan. 23, to a report of a subject who had been shot inside a rural Aurora residence.
The investigation indicated that the subject, later identified as 18-year-old Jared Peters of Aurora, gained entry to the residence and had a confrontation with an adult female who was home alone. The two subjects had a prior dating relationship.
Authorities did not immediately know the details of what happened inside the residence or if there might have been a third party at large.
Updates from the Sheriff’s Office soon confirmed that there was no immediate danger to the general public, but it wasn’t until the Kane County Coroner’s Office autopsy report on Wednesday, Jan. 25, that the public learned the cause of death was a self-inflected gunshot wound.
This story, updated several times, combined news releases from the Kane County Sheriff’s Office and Kane County Coroner’s Office to provide citizens with public-safety information relevant to their daily lives.
Read The 2017 Top Stories Countdown Series
- Friday — No 10: Bizarre Residential Shooting Report in St. Charles
- Monday — No. 9: Which Townships Have The Highest, Lowest Property Taxes?
- Tuesday — No. 8: Six Things You THINK You Can Recycle … But Can’t
- Wednesday — No. 7: Where Shootings Related To Fatal Crash Near Tollway Ramp?
- Thursday — No. 6: Where To Find Parades and Fireworks in Kane County, IL
- TODAY — No. 5: A Fatal Gunshot Mystery Solved
- Coming Tuesday — No: 4: Honoring Our Veterans
WANT TO SEE YOUR STORY ON KANE COUNTY CONNECTS?