Top 10 KCC Stories of 2017 — No. 4: Honoring Our Veterans
- Editor’s Note: This is the seventh in a series counting down the top 10 Kane County Connects stories of 2017.
Among the many good things Kane County Connects is able to do for the community, some of the most satisfying are stories we do in partnership with the Kane County Veterans Assistance Commission.
Kane County Veterans Assistance Superintendent Jake Zimmerman’s office does a terrific job championing Kane County veterans, making sure they’re getting the benefits they are entitled to, and in communicating important information to the community.
KCC partners with the Veterans Commission to post numerous stories on Veterans Day events, benefits and discounts.
No. 4: Honoring Kane County Veterans
This year’s Veterans Day was a little different than usual, with the holiday falling on a Saturday.
Veterans Day is also a federal holiday and state of Illinois holiday, and was observed this year on Friday, Nov. 10, which means several local government offices were closed but post offices were closed and schools had a mixed bag of half days, full days and events.
This article sorted out the confusion and provided links to each municipality’s calendar so that readers could find the information they were looking for.
It also provided links to stories that helped veterans find discounts and additional veterans-related resources and helped residents find Veterans Day parades and ceremonies throughout Kane County.
Read More Veterans Stories
- Honor Those Who Serve: (Update) Veterans Day 2017 Events in Kane County, IL
- Fox Valley Park District Hosts Free Veterans Day Luncheon Nov. 3
- Naval Science Instructor Will Keynote Aurora Veterans Day Parade Ceremony
- Kane Veterans Office Helps Return Soldier’s Dog Tag After 70 Years
- 25 Employers Will Be at Veterans Jobs Fair Oct. 24 at Elgin Community College
- 33 Vendors, 4 Bigtime Employers Coming To Friday’s Veterans Resource Fair
- Honoring Veterans: Kane County Is Now a ‘Purple Heart County’
2017 Top Stories Countdown
- Friday — No 10: Bizarre Residential Shooting Report in St. Charles
- Monday — No. 9: Which Townships Have The Highest, Lowest Property Taxes?
- Tuesday — No. 8: Six Things You THINK You Can Recycle … But Can’t
- Wednesday — No. 7: Where Shootings Related To Fatal Crash Near Tollway Ramp?
- Thursday — No. 6: Where To Find Parades and Fireworks in Kane County, IL
- Friday — No. 5: A Fatal Gunshot Mystery Solved
- TODAY — No: 4: Honoring Our Veterans
- Coming Wednesday — No. 3: Changing Trick-Or-Treat Hours
WANT TO SEE YOUR STORY ON KANE COUNTY CONNECTS?