Top 10 KCC Stories of 2017 — No. 1: April Election Results in Kane County, IL
- Editor’s Note: This is the 10th and final story in a series counting down the top 10 Kane County Connects stories of 2017.
One of the services Kane County Connects provides is gathering election results and reporting them to citizens on election night.
Readers value this service for many reasons, but probably the factor most appreciated is that we do the math for you.
The spring 2017 local elections included mayoral and village president races, so to know who won some of those races, you have to add totals from local election commissions.
For Barrington Hills, for example, we gathered information and added the totals from election commissions in Kane, Cook, McHenry and Lake to let you know who won. For the Aurora mayoral race, we gathered info from the Aurora Election Commission and DuPage County.
Kane County Connects updates election stories throughout the evening and into the early morning hours, then double checks final totals on the following day. There are often swings in momentum as the totals come in, so there’s a little bit of drama throughout the night.
That drama, combined with the timeliness of the information, is why election-night articles are so popular. In this case, the No. 1 most-read story of the year garnered 17,714 page views.
No. 1: Spring 2017 Mayoral Election Results
Richard Irvin defeated Rick Guzman by 174 votes in the April 2017 Aurora election for mayor. Almost 15,000 voters cast ballots, so the margin was just slightly more than 1 percent — a close race, indeed.
While the Aurora contest was probably the headliner of the night, other mayoral and village president races were of high interest, as well.
There were three-way races for village president in Elburn and South Elgin. Jeffrey D. Walter won the Elburn race over Christopher G. Mondi and David J. Gualdoni. In South Elgin, Steve Ward narrowly defeated Bill DiFulvio and Lisa G. Guess.
In other races, Geneva incumbent Kevin R. Burns turned away a challenge by Thomas Simonian, longtime Batavia Mayor Jeffery Schielke defeated Jason Stoops, former Carpentersville Fire Chief John M. Skillman defeated incumbent Village President Edward M. Ritter, Rick Overstreet defeated Mike L. Carlson in Lily Lake and Martin J. McLaughlin defeated Louis Iacovelli in the race for Barrington Hills village president.
2017 Top Stories Countdown
- Friday — No 10: Bizarre Residential Shooting Report in St. Charles
- Monday — No. 9: Which Townships Have The Highest, Lowest Property Taxes?
- Tuesday — No. 8: Six Things You THINK You Can Recycle … But Can’t
- Wednesday — No. 7: Where Shootings Related To Fatal Crash Near Tollway Ramp?
- Thursday — No. 6: Where To Find Parades and Fireworks in Kane County, IL
- Friday — No. 5: A Fatal Gunshot Mystery Solved
- Tuesday — No: 4: Honoring Our Veterans
- Wednesday — No. 3: Ever-Changing Trick-Or-Treat Hours
- Thursday — No. 2: How To Tell If Your Eclipse Glasses Are Safe
- TODAY — No. 1: April 17 Election Results
WANT TO SEE YOUR STORY ON KANE COUNTY CONNECTS?