Save The Date: Nov. 15 Is GIS Day In Kane County
The GIS Technologies Department of Kane County will host its annual GIS Day Open House on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017, in the Auditorium of Building A at the Kane County Government Center, 719 S Batavia Ave., Geneva. Hours for the open house will be from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
Kane County’s GIS Day is open to the public and will showcase applications, presentations, and maps that are making a difference in Kane County.
GIS is a computer-based mapping tool that takes information about geographic locations such as streets, buildings, water features, and terrain, and translates these features into visual layers. Being able to see all of these features on one map gives users at every level a better understanding of a particular location and enables planners and analysts to make informed decisions about their communities, for both immediate and long-range needs.
Ultimately, GIS Day serves to make people aware of GIS technology and the important contributions it makes to the fields of science, technology, information, and the humanities. It is a grass roots event and a reflection of the enthusiasm and commitment of individual GIS users everywhere. This year marks Kane County’s 18th annual GIS Day, so be sure to join the celebration.
The departments and the applications that will be showcased at the Nov. 15 open house event include:
- Public GIS
- KaneGIS Online – Kane County’s map gallery.
- Local GIS
- KaneGIS64 – desktop application.
- Enterprise GIS
- 3 – Enterprise web-based intranet application.
Kane County Transportation
- Field Data Collection
- Fiber Network – visual display of the county fiber network.
- Real time calls – restricted site.
- Dangerous Animals – ArcGIS Online Map of the County’s dangerous animals.
- Kane Farmers Market application
Development and Water Resources
- Custom Paper maps.
Forest Preserve of Kane County
- Ancient Oaks – Custom paper maps on the ancient trees in the county.
The Sidwell Company
- Commercial vendor showcasing Parcel Builder application.
- Is an international supplier of geographic information systems (GIS) software, web GIS and geodatabase management applications.
- Commercial company that provides high definition video and photographic drone flights.
- FasterPast provides
- HD Video Marketing
- Real Estate Photo and Videos
- Aerials Inspections
- Construction Progress Photos and Videos