Oct. 5 Kane County 4-H Fun Night Welcomes Interested Families
Kane County 4-H will host its annual 4-H Fun Night on Thursday, Oct. 5, to celebrate National 4-H Week and the start of a new 4-H year.
From 6:30 to 8 p.m., join local 4-H Clubs for games and activities at the Kane County Fairgrounds Prairie Events Center in St. Charles. This year, 4-H Club booths will feature Plinko, the mystery box game, Frisbee golf and more. The event also provides an excellent chance for interested families, and individuals seeking volunteer opportunities, to learn about the 4-H program.
“Come have fun and experience a little of what 4-H has to offer here in Kane County,” said 4-H Program Coordinator Doris Braddock. “Our Fun Night event will include several clubs from around the county, and visitors can meet youth and current volunteers, as well as ask questions about 4-H.”
National 4-H Week is Oct. 1 to 7 this year. Every county in Illinois has a 4-H program, which is operated through University of Illinois Extension. 4-H club membership is open to youth aged 8 to 18, and the Cloverbud program is geared for ages 5 to 7.
“4-H Youth Development programs provide hands-on learning, and focus on building leadership, citizenship and life skills,” said Braddock. “Through 4-H, youth can explore many areas of study, including culinary arts, visual arts, horticulture, technology, science and more than 100 others.”
4-H youth development programs provide opportunities for youth to feel a sense of belonging, develop independence, practice generosity, and experience mastery.
A 2015 survey of local 4-H members found that:
- 95 percent feel they have talents to share with others
- 88 percent feel connected to a caring adult who is not their parent
- 95 percent feel comfortable making their own decisions
- 84 percent feel comfortable sharing thoughts and opinions with others
- 88 percent say they learned how to make a difference in their community
- 76 percent have held leadership roles and gained responsibility
- 85 percent say they are confident speaking in front of others
- 89 percent report having a plan for reaching their goals
The Kane County 4-H Fun Night event will be conducted at the Prairie Events Center on Kane County Fairgrounds in St. Charles. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any program, contact the office at 630-584-6166.
To learn more about 4-H in your county, visit go.illinois.edu/info4Hdkk.