UPDATE: Roads Will Close Sept. 17 For 2017 Fox Valley Marathon
The Fox Valley Marathon will be held from 7 a.m. to about 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017, beginning in St. Charles on the Illinois Street bridge. The run continues south to Aurora before returning to the finish line back in St. Charles.
Several roadways in St. Charles will be effected by the marathon:
- 1st Street between Illinois Street and Indiana Street will be closed beginning at 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 16, for set up.
- Both the Prairie Street and Illinois Street bridges will be closed during the entire event on Sunday. Motorists are advised to use either the Main Street (IL Route 64) bridge or the Red Gate bridge.
- The race begins at 7 a.m. Sunday and travels south on 1st Street to Geneva Road (IL Route 31). Geneva Road will be closed and traffic will be detoured to South 3rd Street.
- As the runners return to St. Charles, now on the east side of the river, traffic on Riverside Avenue (IL Route 25) will be reduced to one lane between Moore Avenue and South 5th Avenue.
Police and Emergency Management Personnel will be positioned at key locations to assist with traffic direction. Motorists are advised to expect delays when traveling throughout the city.
Police remind drivers to watch for runners, spectators, and emergency responders assisting with the event.
In addition, the CASA Kane County, Fox Valley KIDS Marathon will be held at 3 p.m. on Saturday Sept. 16. The Prairie Street bridge will be temporarily closed at the start of that event; however, the closure is expected to be less than 30 minutes.
SOURCE: city of St. Charles news release
Detours in Geneva
Several downtown Geneva streets will be closed to traffic early Sunday, Sept. 17, to accommodate the annual Fox Valley Marathon race course.
The marathon begins in St. Charles and heads south into Geneva, impacting downtown streets and main arterial roads between 7 and 9 a.m., including:
- Route 31 – Roosevelt Street in St. Charles to Third Street near the Kane County Government Center;
- Stevens Street – Route 31 to Sixth Street;
- Ford Street – Fourth to Sixth streets;
- Peyton Street – Route 31 to Sixth Street;
- State Street (Route 38) – Route 25 to Fourth Street;
- Third Street – State to Fulton Street (Fulton intersection partially closed);
- James Street –Second to Sixth streets; and
- Campbell Street – Second to Sixth streets.
Route 38 – The marked detour route for local drivers traveling eastbound on State Street will be turning south on Seventh Street, east on Fulton Street, south on Fourth Street, east on South Street, south on Third Street, south on Route 31, east on Fabyan Parkway, and north on Route 25. Westbound traffic will utilize the same route in reverse.
Route 31 – The marked detour route for local drivers heading southbound on Route 31 in St. Charles will be turning west on Roosevelt Street, south on Third Street (St. Charles)/Anderson Boulevard (Geneva), east on State Street, south on Seventh Street, east on Fulton Street, south on Fourth Street, east on South Street, south on Third Street and south on Route 31. Northbound traffic will use the same route in reverse.
Alternate Route – Motorists who want to avoid the detours should take Route 25, Fabyan Parkway and Randall Road to travel around downtown Geneva. Trucks should use this route and avoid the downtown if possible.
There will be numerous marathon officials and police officers providing traffic control, so please use caution when driving through the downtown. Officials will be available to assist motorists to and from their residence if they live within the designated race course.
Roads Closed For Duration of Race
SOURCE: 2017 Fox Valley Marathon Spectator Guide
- Illinois Street (St. Charles) between Route 25 and Route 31.
- Prairie Street (St. Charles) between Route 31 and Route 25
- Fabyan Forest Preserve, west-side
Route 31 from Prairie Street (St. Charles) to Route 38 (Geneva) will be completely CLOSED from about 6:45 AM to 8:15 AM. This section should be avoided. To get from St. Charles to the Geneva area during this morning time, use either Route 25 (on the east side of the river) or take 3rd Street south out of St. Charles, which becomes Anderson Boulevard in Geneva.
Route 31 (Geneva) will have ONE lane closed from 3rd Street to Fabyan Parkway from about 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Route 38 (Geneva) will be CLOSED from River Lane to South Seventh Street from about 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Route 25 (St. Charles–Geneva) will have ONE lane closed from Illinois Street to Moore Avenue from about 8:45 AM to 1:30 PM.
Illinois Avenue (Aurora) will be CLOSED from about 8:20 AM to 10:45 AM, with police allowing traffic to cross occasionally when there are large enough gaps between runners.
For more information about the race, visit www.foxvalleymarathon.com.