All Students Safe After Youth Pours Gasoline on Himself at Geneva High School
A Geneva High School student poured gasoline onto himself from a water bottle this morning (Monday, Sept. 18, 2017) and was immediately prevented by students and staff from taking further steps to do self-harm or harm to others, officials said in a Monday afternoon news release.
No other students were injured as a result of the incident, officials said.
The incident took place at around 7:30 a.m. in the student cafeteria of Geneva High School, 416 McKinley Ave. Local police and fire departments immediately were dispatched and arrived at the scene, and the student was transported to the hospital, the city of Geneva news release said.
High school administrators followed district protocol, temporarily put the school on a soft lockdown and rerouted students away from the cafeteria. Geneva Police said McKinley Avenue was briefly closed from Center to Stevens streets.
The soft lockdown has since been lifted and the students have resumed their normal school day.
The Fire Department has cleaned the cafeteria, which is now safe for students to re-enter.
“The safety of our students is the district’s first priority, and guidance staff are on hand to provide support and assistance as needed,” the news release said.
SOURCE: city of Geneva news release