Weekend T-Storms Deluge Kane County, Push Fox To New Heights
Waves of weekend storms sent the Fox River to new heights, potentially flooding more streets and homes.
Kane County three-day rain totals as of Saturday were:
- Elgin 4.53
- Sleepy Hollow 3.72
- Batavia 3.26
- St. Charles 3.18
In Elgin, a microburst moving through on Friday produced heavy rain and wind gusts reaching 70 mph, resulting in power outages and downed power lines, branches and trees throughout the area. Some areas continue to experience flooding from the series of storms over the last week.
Flood Warning Continues
The National Weather Service Chicago’s Flood Warning continues until further notice for the Fox River at Algonquin Tailwater, affecting Kane and McHenry counties, and at Montgomery, affecting Kane and Kendall counties.
The river at the Algonquin Tailwater is now 3.5 feet above the flood stage. At 8 p.m. Sunday, the stage was 13.1 feet in Algonquin, where the flood stage at 9.5 feet.
The Fox River remains closed to recreational watercraft until further notice.
Algonquin village officials are asking residents to pay close attention to the village website for the latest information.
“At this time, the village does not see an immediate need to leave the area, but residents are encouraged to monitor the quickly changing conditions and to take appropriate actions, including possible relocation,” village officials said. “The decision to relocate due to flooding should be evaluated based upon individual circumstances.”
Algonquin residents who decide to relocate due to flooding are asked to contact the Algonquin Police Department non-emergency number at 847-658-4531.
Where to Get Sandbags
Algonquin sandbag pickup locations include:
- La Fox River Drive at Cornish Park
- Center Street at IL Route 31
- Filip Road at END
- Beach Drive at Rattray Drive
- Oceola Drive at Hubbard Street
- Riverfront Park
- Lowe Drive at Melvina Court
- Lowe Drive at Lehigh Street
Sandbag supplies also are available to the public at the Kane County Transportation garage, 41W011 Burlington Road, St.Charles and at various municipal locations.
(as of Sunday, July 23)
- Beach Drive (east of Rattray Drive)
- Center Street
- Filip Street
- Fox River Drive
- Harrison Street (Front Street to Edward Street)
- Jayne Street
- La Fox River Drive (from Madison Street to Cornish Park)
- Washington Street (east of Harrison Street)
- Willow Street
- Dundee Township: Winaki Trail from the bend to Onaway Trail and at Fox River Drive in the Richardson Subdivision.
- East Dundee: Duncan Avenue
- West Dundee: Lincoln Avenue is closed between 3rd Street and 6th Street, on 1st Street between Main Street and Lincoln Avenue and the east end of Edwards Avenue.
- St. Charles Township: West Drive, Tuscola Avenue, Wispering Willows Street, Grove Avenue.
- St. Charles: Illinois Street at bridge.
- Elgin: Preston Avenue is closed at Linden Avenue.
SOURCE: Kane County Office of Emergency Management, village of Algonquin, National Weather Service Chicago