BIN WIN! Alert Reader Charmain Rachal Wins Recycling Trivia Contest
At the tail end of the article 6 More Things You THINK You Can Recycle — But Can’t, Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland posed a little trivia question with the promise of a fabulous prize to one lucky person who could come up with the correct answer.
Paper plates — How come they are NOT recyclable?
Paper plates are often coated with a petroleum based plastic coating, especially the ones with colors and designs on them. And in any case, they are usually soiled with food residue and are therefore not recyclable.
A better option is to use reusable, washable plates. Second best is to buy sustainably forested paper plates or buy compostable ones that you can tear up and compost in your backyard bin!
Fourteen alert readers responded and seven came up with the correct answer. So on June 30, Jennifer Jarland, with the help of Heidi Jakubaitis of the Kane County Division of Environmental and Water Resources, drew a name out of the recycling bin to determine the winner. (See photo below.)
And the big winner is … Charmain Rachal!
What did Charmain win? Why the desk-side recycling container you see below. Congratulations, Charmain!
Stay tuned to Kane County Connects recycling tips series for more opportunities to enter and win!
Got questions? Contact Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland at 630-208-3841, firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the ‘Recycling Tips’ Series!
- How to Get Rid of Confidential Documents and Shredded Paper
- Recycling Tip: How to Stop Junk Mail For Good!
- Recycling Tip: How to Stop the Scourge of Junk Mail (Part 2)
- How to Recycling Food Scraps (It’s Changing in Illinois)
- How Kane Residents Can Opt Out of Phone Books!
- 6 Things You THINK You Can Recycle — But Can’t
- 6 More Things You THINK You Can Recycle — But Can’t