41-Year-Old Bolingbrook Man in Custody After Standoff on Route 34 in Aurora

41-Year-Old Bolingbrook Man in Custody After Standoff on Route 34 in Aurora

A 41-year-old Bolingbrook man led Aurora police on a 34-minute pursuit early this morning (Friday, April 7, 2017) and then barricaded himself in his vehicle for about 90 minutes before officers were able to deploy less-than-lethal force and take him into custody.

According to an Aurora Police Department news release, numerous felony charges are pending against the man, who authorities are not identifying by name at this time. The man is being evaluated at an Aurora hospital.

At around 2:44 a.m., an Aurora police sergeant spotted the man driving south on Hill Avenue near Fifth Avenue. When the officer ran the vehicle’s license plate, he learned the registered owner was wanted on several warrants out of Kendall County. The sergeant pulled the vehicle over at Hill and Goodwin Drive near the Kendall County line and after obtaining information from the driver and a 38-year-old female passenger, started walking back to his squad to continue his investigation.

It was at that time that the man took off and ended up leading police on a pursuit that touched all four counties in which Aurora is located including portions of Oswego and Plainfield. Around 3:04 a.m., the man let his passenger out of the vehicle around Second Avenue and Ohio Street and continued on until he stopped at 3:21 a.m. on Ogden Avenue (Route 34), just west of Waterford Drive.

During the pursuit, police learned the man may be armed and, he also made continuous statements about harming himself. Trained negotiators were able to make contact with the man via cell phone, and he continued with these statements after he was stopped.

He was also seen holding an object resembling a pistol to his head while inside his vehicle. After about 30 minutes, the man exited his vehicle holding his cell phone in one hand and refusing to obey officer’s orders to take his other hand out of his pocket. He then re-entered his vehicle after several minutes.

By 3:57 a.m., Special Response Teams from Aurora and Naperville used their Bearcat armored vehicles to pin-in the man’s car and isolate it as negotiations continued. At around 4:48 a.m., the man again exited his vehicle but continued to refuse orders to show both of his hands.

Less than two minutes later, a distraction device was successfully deployed toward the front of the man’s car followed immediately by officers discharging less-than-lethal bean bags which took the man to the ground, the news release said.

Since it was still not known if the man was armed, an Aurora Police Department K-9 was used to incapacitate him before officers took him into custody at 4:50 a.m. without further incident.

The only injuries were to the man resulting from being struck by the beanbags and a dog bite to one of his thighs. Those injuries are minor.

Ogden Avenue between Waterford and Farnsworth was closed for the duration of the incident and reopened around 5:15 a.m.

SOURCE: Aurora Police Department