Celebrate Your World With GIS Day Open House Tuesday at the Gov Center
Interactive mapping. Mobile parcel viewers that let you know the value of properties in your neighborhood — or anywhere in Kane County. Kane County district maps. Sheriff’s Office crime stats. Land use plans in map form. Maps of floodplain areas.
But what you see on the website is only part of the technology that is making people’s lives a little better — and an open house tomorrow will showcase that technology.
The GIS Technologies Department of Kane County will host its annual GIS Day Open House from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday Nov. 17, 2015, in the Auditorium of Building A at the Kane County Government Center, 719 S Batavia Avenue, Geneva.
Kane County’s GIS Day is open to the public which will showcase applications, presentations, and maps that are making a difference in Kane County.
GIS is a computer-based mapping tool that takes information about geographic locations such as streets, buildings, water features, and terrain, and translates these features into visual layers. Being able to see all of these features on one map gives users at every level a better understanding of a particular location and enables planners and analysts to make informed decisions about their communities, for both immediate and long-range needs.
Ultimately, GIS Day serves to make people aware of GIS technology and the important contributions it makes to the fields of science, technology, information, and the humanities. It is a grass roots event and a reflection of the enthusiasm and commitment of individual GIS users everywhere. This year marks Kane County’s 16th annual GIS Day, so be sure to join the celebration.
Departments and the applications that will be showcased on Nov. 17 open house event.
- Public GIS
- KaneGIS Online – Kane County’s map gallery.
- Local GIS
- KaneGIS64 – desktop application.
- Enterprise GIS
- 3 – Enterprise web-based intranet application.
- GeoEvent – restricted web based streaming service.
- Supervisor of Assessments
- Sidwell Farms – desktop application used in the assessment of farm parcels.
- BOR Sales – web and mobile application free to the public displaying sales information.
- Public GIS
- Kane County Transportation
- Mobile data collection – mobile applications showcase data collection.
- Vehicle Real Time Tracker – restricted site that allows the transportation department to track their trucks including snow plows.
- Information Technologies
- Fiber Network – visual display of the county fiber network.
- City view – power point presentation.
- KaneComm Department
- Real time calls – restricted site.
- Sheriff Department
- Incident Tracker – Restricted Web based application used to keep track of incidents in the county.
- Development and Water Resources
- Custom Paper maps
- The Sidwell Company
- Commercial vendor showcasing Parcel Builder application.