Tax FAQ: What Will Happen If I Don't Pay My Property Taxes?

Tax FAQ: What Will Happen If I Don’t Pay My Property Taxes?

Obviously, it’s a good idea to pay your property taxes. What happens if you just decide not to?

That’s an interesting question, and perhaps not-so-surprisingly given the previous stories in this series, there’s an answer to that very question in Frequently Asked Questions about the 2014 (payable 2015) Kane County Property Tax Bills. We’ve provided that Q&A here, along with a little extra info from the Kane County Treasurer’s Office and Kane County Clerk’s websites.

Q: What will happen if I don’t pay my property taxes?

A: Your taxes may be sold at the annual tax sale, which is held in October of each year.

If your taxes are sold, you will retain the right to redeem your property for two and one-half years if it is your principal dwelling. Other property must be redeemed within two years. To redeem it, you will have to pay costs and interest in addition to any tax due. For more information, contact the County Clerk’s Tax Redemption Department.

Important Tax Due Dates
2014 Taxes Payable in Year 2015

Taxpayers can expect to receive a tax bill by the 1st week of May. If you do not receive a tax bill call the Treasurer’s Office at (630) 232-3565 and request a duplicate tax bill. Warning failure to receive a bill will not negate your tax liability! Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except holidays.

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 4.23.47 PM

Additional information from the County Clerk’s Tax Redemption Department page is as follows:

Kane County Clerk’s Tax Redemption Information

Every year on the last Monday of October, the Kane County Treasurer holds its annual tax sale to auction off all unpaid taxes for the current year. Any questions on Tax Sale procedures and delinquent property lists should be addressed to the Kane Treasurer.

If your unpaid taxes have been sold, the Clerk’s office can provide you with an Estimate of Redemption, detailing the amount necessary to redeem (pay) your taxes and remove the threat of losing your property.

Redemption can only be made by means of cash, certified funds or money order made payable to the Kane County Clerk. Once the redemption is satisfied a receipt will be issued.

If the property owner fails to pay taxes the next year by the third week in September, the tax buyer who purchased the prior year can purchase the subsequent year at 12 percent interest.

Tax Buyer Information packet

Tax Sale Judgment Books

Tax Bill Explanation

For more information

    • Visit:Kane County Clerk
      719 S. Batavia Ave, Bldg. B
      Geneva, IL 60134
    • Call: (630) 232-5964
    • Fax: (630) 232-5488
    • Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday


For More Information

Related Stories

Tax Bill FAQ Series