PHOTO STORY: ‘He’s Looking Down and Smiling’ — Maria Vazquez Fills Term of Her Late Husband, Jesse
In an emotional moment at Tuesday’s Kane County Board meeting, 23 board members unanimously endorsed the appointment of Maria Vazquez to fill the District 8 vacancy created by the passing of her husband.
Jesse Vazquez — a former Marine, Montgomery businessman, County Board member and community activist — died unexpectedly on Jan. 12 at the age of 51.
“This is a great decision. It’s why Kane County always leads the way,” District 16 board member and Forest Preserve Board Chairman Mike Kenyon said. “Right now, there’s a marine standing at attention looking down, and he’s very happy.”
District 2 board member Theresa Barreiro, a longtime friend of the Vazquez family, was among the board members who recommended that Maria fill the 18-month balance of Jesse’s term.
“He is here today,” she said. “When Maria approached me about this, I thought, ‘Yes, this is perfect.’ Maria has worked with Jesse on all his campaigns — in fact, that’s when I met Maria and Jesse. This is a good day, and I want to thank everyone involved. I think Maria will do a great job.”
Maria Vazquez was sworn in during a brief ceremony at the end of Tuesday’s meeting.
“Thank you for this opportunity to continue the good work that Jesse has done,” she said.
- Kane County Board Member Jesse Vazquez Dies Suddenly at Age 51
- Kane County Remembers Jesse Vazquez, 1963-2015
- Visitation Jan. 18 for County Board Member Jesse Vazquez
- County Board Seeking to Fill 8th District Vacancy
- March 1 Memorial Event Will Raise Funds for Family of Jesse Vazquez
- Lauzen: My Choice for District 8 Appointment Is Maria Vazquez