Where to Find FREE Tax Preparation Assistance in Kane County

Where to Find FREE Tax Preparation Assistance in Kane County

This list is by no means all-inclusive, but you might be interested to know — especially if you’re a person working on fixed or limited income — that there are a number of places to find FREE help in Kane County just one example is that you could check out this CPA firm that will plan and prepare your taxes for you and ensure they’re ready for that all important tax due date.

I capitalized FREE in that sentence and the headline just to get your attention, although I’m guessing you didn’t need the prompt.

There are a number of excellent websites that help you these services, including the bookmark-worthy Kane County Guide to Community Services, the Center for Economic Progress Tax-Site Finder and the PDF on the Illinois Department of Revenue page.

Locally, a lot of local libraries in Kane County offer tax forms for pickup at your convenience. Many, like the Messenger Library in North Aurora, offer an online listing of free tax volunteers for seniors and low income individuals. The Gail Borden Library offers free tax-prep help for qualified residents, thanks to help from the Grand Victoria Casino Fund and the United Way of Elgin.

In fact, the United Way offers myfreetaxes.com online, and several local United Way organizations offer MyFreeTaxes VITA Sites.

Waubonsee Community College volunteers, bless them, will not only help hundreds of local residents file their federal and state income tax returns for free, but will help boost the local economy in the process. In 2014, the Waubonsee VITA volunteers processed 902 income tax returns, bringing almost $1.9 million in tax refunds home to the Waubonsee region. CLICK THIS LINK to read more.

For seniors especially, your local township office is another good place to look for services. Here is a link to a list of Kane County townships, courtesy of our Kane County website (aka countyofkane.org).

Additional Important Info, Courtesy of the Center for Economic Progress

From January through April, CEP has free tax sites in communities throughout Illinois. Each year, we help nearly 20,000 people file their taxes and get all the tax credits they’ve earned and refunds they’re owed. Our free tax sites are more than a place to get your taxes done. At most sites, you’ll be able to open a bank account, learn ways to save for the future, and better manage your money. Download a full list of our 2015 tax sites (English, Spanish).

Who do we help?

We provide free tax help to:

  • Families with incomes less than $50,000
  • Individuals with incomes less than $25,000

What should you bring with you to receive free tax services?

To get our free tax services, you MUST bring with you:

  • All W-2s and 1099s (if any) for the year involved
  • Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) for all family members
  • Valid photo ID for the person filing
  • Copy of previous year’s tax return, if possible
  • Bank account number and routing number if you choose to direct deposit your tax refund
  • Property tax bill
  • Amount spent on college expenses
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (i.e. Form 1095-A, private/employer insurance information) or Certificate of Exemption

Amending Your Tax Return

Did you discover that you didn’t list all of your W-2s or 1099s on your tax return? Or did you forget to claim all of your tax credits?

If you filed your tax return and realized that something needs to be added, updated or corrected, you will need to file an amended return by using the IRS form 1040X. However:

  • If it’s BEFORE April 15, you should go back to the place where you had your taxes done and have the business or organization complete an amended return for you.
  • If it’s AFTER April 15, please call our tax hotline at (312) 252-0280. Or CEP offers year-round tax help through our Money Action Days, held at select communities. We may be able to help you. Find one near you.