Indian Trail Bridges Reopen 1 Lane For the Holidays
In an effort to reduce construction congestion throughout the winter months, the city of Aurora will reopen the Indian Trail Bridges with reduced lanes in time for holiday traffic.
One traffic lane in each direction will be open for motorists by Christmas Eve morning, Wednesday, Dec. 24.
The reduced lanes may cause minor traffic delays. The Illinois Avenue and Sullivan Road bridges will remain as detour routes to reduce congestion.
The bridges will remain open with reduced lanes throughout the winter. Weather permitting, crews will continue to work on the bridges throughout this winter, so motorists should slow down and watch for workers in construction zones. In March, the bridges will be closed again to finish the reconstruction, which is scheduled to be completed in late 2015.
The Indian Trail bridges, the longest crossings over the Fox River in Aurora, closed in June for the $9.8 million reconstruction project.
The project is 80 percent federally funded with the remaining 20 percent paid through city of Aurora funds obtained from Motor Fuel Taxes.
In addition to the replacement and widening of both the east and west crossings, the project will also include improved drainage along with new curbs, gutters, wider sidewalks, parapet railings, LED street lighting, guardrails and landscaping.
For updates on the project, photos, maps and more, visit the Indian Trail Bridge Reconstruction Improvements page on the city of Aurora’s website.
SOURCE: City of Aurora press release