IDOT Suspends Kane County Roadwork During Labor Day Weekend; Some Lane Closures Remain
With thousands of motorists expected to travel on state roadways over the Labor Day holiday weekend, the Illinois Department of Transportation announced that non-emergency roadwork will be suspended where possible to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow. IDOT is also providing advance notice of lane closures that will remain in place for the holiday week to aid motorists’ travel plans and boost safety.
Starting at 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29, IDOT will suspend all non-emergency roadwork for the holiday week and open up all lanes where possible through midnight Monday, Sept.1. Some construction zones will have lane closures in effect, depending on the projects.
IDOT is urging motorists to slow down, obey posted speed limits and drive with caution through work zones. Holiday travelers are reminded that work zone speed limits are still in effect wherever they are posted, even where no construction workers are present.
- Eastbound and westbound Indian Trail road over the Fox River is closed to traffic between IL 31 and IL 25, in the city of Aurora. Detour routes are posted.
- U.S. 20 over McLean Boulevard — traffic change on interchange reconstruction in Elgin; two lanes open in each direction.
- Maple Avenue from Washington Street to L.W. Besinger Drive will have one lane open eastbound only.
- U.S. 30/IL Route 56 over IL Route 47; traffic reduced to one lane in each direction.
- French road over Burlington Creek is reduced to one lane with a temporary traffic signals.
OTHER NEARBY COUNTIES
- IL route 38 is permanent closures leaving one lane in each direction from Kirk Road to east of Kress Road in Geneva and West Chicago. (Kane and DuPage Counties)
- IL 59, between Diehl Road and New York/North Aurora Road there will be two lanes open in each direction utilizing the median as one of the lanes. There will only be a single lane of traffic open in each direction under the BNSF RR.
- One lane closed EB on IL 19 (Irving Park Road) at York Road.
- Maple St over Spring Brook Creek in Itasca is closed.
- 75th Street, from Adams to Plainfield Road in Darien; eastbound and westbound lane closures; 2 lanes are open in each direction.
- East New York Street from Welsh Dr. to Asbury Dr. in Aurora – lane closure eastbound and westbound, one lane open in each direction.
- IL Rte. 131 (Green Bay Road) & Wadsworth Road is in stage 1 detour configuration, with one lane open in each direction.
- Grass Lake Road, about one mile west of US Rte. 45 is in stage 1 detour configuration with one lane open only for both EB and WB. traffic
- Rollings Road, about ½ mile west of US Rte. 45 has all lanes open with daily lane closures.
- Washington Street from Lakewood Terrace to Ravine Drive, in Round Lake, Round Lake Park, & Hainsville has all lanes open with daily lane closures.
- Hart Road & Sunset Drive, Village of Round Lake, is in Stage 1 detour configuration, has all lanes open with daily lane closures.
- IL 132 over the Des Plaines River; one lane closed in each direction over the River
- Roberts road and River Road – River Road is closed at Roberts Road – follow posted detour.
- Grasslake Road two miles west of US 45 is under stage one detour – new traffic pattern – drive with caution.
Mc HENRY COUNTY
- Route 120 Bridge over the Fox River in McHenry county is in Stage 1 construction where we have traffic reduced to one lane in each direction
- IL 31 at IL 176 and at Terra Cotta Ave. in Crystal Lake, Nunde Township and unincorporated McHenry County, one lane open in each direction.
- Il 31 at IL 120 (North Leg), in McHenry, McHenry County. New lane configuration, one lane open in each direction on IL Rte. 120.
- Johnsburg Road from west of Chapel Hill Road to East of Chapel Hill Road, Johnsburg, McHenry County. One lane open westbound on Johnsburg Road. Follow posted detour.
- Franklinville Road closed one mile north of IL 176 – follow posed detour.
- Division Street over the J & M Canal in Lockport. Bridge out – detour posted.
- I-55 northbound and southbound exit ramps to US 30 in Joliet -reduced to one left turn lane and one right turn lane for each ramp.
- I-55 at Arsenal Road interchange – the east frontage Road southbound direction will be reduced down to one lane.
- IL 53 at Material Road in Romeoville – lane closures EB and WB with one lane open in each direction.
SOURCE: Illinois Department of Transportation press release